The “Cherokee” cabin, built in 1910, and was relocated to Rassawek in 2008.
Once reconstructed overlooking a pond at the north end of the property, a porch was added, fashioning porch posts from nearby cedar trees. The porch planks were milled from trees that grew around the original cabin site on Cherokee Road in Richmond, Virginia. Grapevines were then planted in a radial pattern with the Cherokee cabin as the hub.
The interior has many salvaged antique items. The chimney was built from a combination of rocks that came from the property and from the original cabin fireplace. The massive lintels surrounding the fireplace were hand-split on site. A skylight and cupola provide ventilation and natural light and operate by crank mechanisms salvaged from the greenhouse at James Madison’s Montpelier. The floors and wavy pane glass are original to the cabin.